weed identification link


We know their out there; Record your Myna bird sightings today!


Map your Mynas

What chemical do I use on that weed?

The best 'go to' place for up to date chemical products listed for a particular weed is the APVMA website (Agricultural Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority).  Simply type the weed your interested in controlling in the 'disease/pest' search field and hit search. The search will bring up all the products and their labels to help you determine the rate of chemical required for the job at hand. Click here for the APVMA registered product search engine (external website).

ACUPs and Chemical Users Courses

There is a difference between the two the attached agriculture note explains why

Record keeping

Compulsory for all farm chemicals!

A well kept Farm Chemicals Use Register is of great benefit to the landholder. This can assist you in many ways, for example, when determining if a pest plant has built up a resistance to a particular chemical or if it was a combination of the mix and weather that coursed the problem. A register is also a useful item to show prospective purchasers if your property is up for sale or to ask to see if you are in the market to buy a property.

How to obtain a permit

Bookmark and Share


Find out 'the latest' blackberry news from across the state via the Victorian Blackberry Taskforce Blog at http://www.blackberrytheweed.com.au/ well worth a read!



PestSmart has a YouTube channel containing clips of practical instructions on a range of pest animal control methods, new products and monitoring techniques.


The PestSmart Toolkit provides comprehensive management information packages on several key vertebrate pest species in Australia including rabbits, wild dogs, foxes, feral pigs, feral cats, carp, and tilapia.





The Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) is developing new Invasive Species Management legislation to replace the noxious weeds and pest animal provisions of the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994 and to close the gaps in powers to deal with incursions of taxonomic groups currently not, or only partially, covered by Victoria’s biosecurity legislation. Click here for more information (external website)


A fungus with the potential to attack all species of the Myrtaceae plant family, (think Eucalyptus and Callistemon amung others) has now been detected at roughly 120 sites in Victoria. Based on this, the threat posed to native forests, public parks and industries reliant on the production and existance of Myrtaceae plants, (beekeeping, nurseries and forestly) is very real. Click here for more information (external website)  


The Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) has welcomed the Victorian Governments funding for roadside weeds, but has cautioned against future cost shifting to councils. See the MAV webside for the full media release: MAV Welcomes Roadside Weed Funding...But Time Will Tell (11 May 2012)


The Grains Research & Development Corporation have launched an application designed to be used in the paddock to help farmers identify the most common, biennial, perennial and annual weeds in Southern Australia. To download the app called 'Weed ID the Ute Guide' version 1.01 visit http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/weeds-the-ute-guide/id482862261?mt=8 


In mid July 2011 there was a report of African lovegrass as close as 10km from the South Gippsland Shire boundary along the coast of Westernport Bay. South Gippsland’s not immune to invasion by African lovegrass; it may very well be within the Shire boundary. Being a tussock grass, its presence is often overlooked; (unlike weeds with bright purple flowers that are easy to spot) it can also be confused with some other native or introduced grasses. Early detection allows early control. Read the July 2011 'Weed Talk' it will tell you what to look for if trying to identify the plant.


Spot spray infestations just prior to flowering this is the point of maximum old bulb exhaustion, and minimum new bulb development (JUNE/JULY). Bulbs are empty, plants are committed to flowering and the majority of leaves have emerged. Time of flowering will vary from year to year and between sites. As not all plants will be at the same stage further control will be required in the following years. Care must be taken to avoid off target damage when using herbicides in bushland. It is important that training in the correct use of herbicides is undertaken. Always read the label and follow instructions. Registered herbicides for use in Victoria include glyphosate (i.e. Roundup) and Amitrole. Search the list of registered chemicals for oxalis via the follwoing link;APVMA_Database simply type the disease/pest (oxalis) and the relevant state (Vic). Sept 2010 WEED TALK


Lists plant species declaired as noxious/covered by legislation in Victoria. Seach by plant specie and relevant Catchment Management area to find out the plants classification.

Download files;

Regionally Controlled Weeds in West Gippsland

Declaired Noxious Weeds 


The Invasive Animal CRC in partership with government, research, business and community groups has released a new and improved RabbitScan website mapping tool for farmers, community groups and anyone with a rabbit problem. RabbitScan provides a tool to map rabbits, record the damage they cause and map rabbit control allowing users to create a rabbit management map for their local area. To learn more about RabbitScan, go to www.feralscan.org.au


High spring and summer rainfalls have been favourable to weed growth. The movement and amount of water is also favouring weed spread. In recent months there has been several landowners reporting never before seen aquatic plants in their farm dams or creeks. Most likely bought in by ducks or carried by moving water from up-stream. If you discover an aquatic plant or a terrestrial plant and are unsure what it is then contact the Landcare Network for assistance with identification on telephone (03) 5662 5759.

With weed growth, now is the perfect time to control many of the problem plants in South Gippsland including Ragwort and Blackberry. Look under Weed Identification on this website to find out how these, along with other plants, are best controlled.

$500 grants are currently available to new South Gippsland Landcare members that can be put in part towards weed control works i.e. chemical, equiptment hire. Visit the Landcare Network website to find out more information www.sgln.org.au


Boneseed, Willows and Gorse

FREE Control Manuals for each of these plans availble. Email your postal details to to recieve a copy. A great source of practicle information. The manuals are produced by the Australian Government in partnership with the relevant State Authority.

Azolla; the green and red plant that floats on dams!

Throughout the year Gippsland dairy farmers seek identification and advice on the aquatic plant which readily grows in farm dams. Azolla (Azolla pinnata) is a native plant that occurs in still or slow moving water throughout Australia.

Azolla is not harmfull to livestock that drink the water or consume the plants. Azolla is a benificial plant and providing nutrient levels in the water are not too high it will co-exist with other species in a farm dam without any ill effect to water quality. If azolla is becoming a problem then one would need to look at the causes for such heavy growth. Excess fertiliser or manure runnoff entering the dam may contribute to the growth, therefore restrict stock access or stop fertiliser from entering the dam.

What is a weed?

A weed is essentially an unwanted plant. A plant that establishes itself outside its normal environment and, in doing so, threatens the values of the area it invades (i.e native bush land or pasture). This may be detrimental to native plants, animals and birds that lose their natural habitat or to agricultural productivity.

Weed management manual

Prevention- better than a cure

To implement a sucessfull long term weed control program, the method of spread has to be identified and countered to minimise further spread and reinvasion.

Early Detection- key to Eradication

In cases where weeds are eradicated from an area the main factor enabling eradiction is early detection. New weeds are detected and identified through survailance of areas prone to outbreaks on your farm or property.

Weed Identification

Weed Categories

a. Declared Noxious Weeds

Noxious Weeds List (140kb pdf)
Regionally Controlled Weeds in West Gippsland NEW

In Victoria these are plants that have been proclaimed under the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994, which requires the landholder to control or eradicate these weeds. These pest plants are categorised as:

  1. State Prohibited
    Weeds to be eradicated if possible from within Victoria or excluded from the State.
  2. Regionally Prohibited
    Regionally prohibited weeds are those not widely distributed but are capable of spreading further. It is reasonable to expect that they can be eradicated from a region.
  3. Regionally Controlled
    These are weeds that are widespread and established in a region. It is the responsibility of the landholder to control the growth and spread of these weeds on their land and the adjoining half width of roadside.
  4. Restricted
    This category includes plants that pose an unacceptable risk of spreading in this State or to other parts of Australia if they were to be sold or traded in Victoria, and are a serious threat to another State or Territory of Australia. Trade in these weeds and their propagules, either as plants, seeds or contaminants in other materials is prohibited.
  5. Fisheries Act Noxious Aquatic Species
    These plants pose a serious threat to a fishery, the aquatic environment or human health. It is an offence to bring into Victoria or possess, sell, transport or release them.

b. Environmental Weeds

Environmental weeds are plants that threaten the values of natural ecosystems, can invade native plant communities and out compete them resulting in reduction of plant diversity, and loss of habitat for plants, animals and birds.


Agricultural Chemical Users Course and Permit


This section provides a broad picture for the use of agricultural chemicals and the reasons for the development of a training course and the permit requirements. It is provided as a guide only. For more detailed information you should contact your local DPI officer or go to the DPI website.

Why do the Course?

The agricultural chemical user's course is designed for landholders or their employees, supervisors and operators, who use agricultural, horticultural and/or veterinary chemicals. The course has been developed to:

provide an overview of the operational, environmental and safety issues associated with the purchase, storage, handling, use and disposal of chemicals; and enable users to correctly interpret the information contained on chemical labels.

Many agricultural, horticultural and veterinary chemicals used by farmers are toxic and an environmental hazard with many of the most dangerous (S7) now requiring a permit (ACUP) to purchase or use. A product you freely purchased last year may now only be available to you if you have completed the course or hold a current permit. The list of chemicals requiring a permit is provided at the course, and is expanding constantly, so it is in your own best interest to get the course under your belt. A certificate is issued on successful completion of the course . This certificate is required to apply to DPI for an Australian Chemical Users Permit (ACUP) which is required when using restricted chemicals e.g. Grazon. Landholders who whish to use 1080 fox baits are required to do a 1080 update course.

Duty of Care

There is an unwritten understanding with the force of law that all users of farm chemicals will take reasonable care. Those shown to have caused damage because they did not take reasonable care may be liable under common law. The first step in demonstrating that you have taken reasonable care is to have completed the course.

Registered chemicals

Chemical users are required to follow the label . In Victoria off label use (not exceeding the maximun rate on the label) is permitted except for restricted chemicals requiring an ACUP e.g Grazon. Off label permits can be applied for from the Department of Primary Industries or Australian Pesticide and Veterinary Medicines Authority. Off label use can be qiute complex and it is recommended that enqiuries be made in the first instance with the DPI.

Decontamination of Equipment.

Thorough decontamination of your equipment is essential. Farm chemical residue can seriously damage your equipment if left for even a day. Chemicals left in your equipment can contaminate subsequent chemicals used in that equipment and off target damage can be the result.

Record Keeping (This is now compulsory for all farm chemicals)

A well kept Farm Chemicals Use Register is of great benefit to the landholder. This can assist you in many ways, for example, when determining if a pest plant has built up a resistance to a particular chemical or if it was a combination of the mix and weather that coursed the problem. A register is also a useful item to show prospective purchasers if your property is up for sale or to ask to see if you are in the market to buy a property.

For a chemical record sheet click on file below...

Weed of the month

The wart that affects everybody

Read this months weed talk by clicking on the image...


Weed Talk

Articles on all things weeds.